Top Rated Probiotics for IBS
Irritable bowel syndrome – IBS is among the most common intestinal maladies and one of the most difficult to treat. No single remedy works for everybody, and there are few drugs created exclusively for IBS symptoms, which include abdominal pain, cramping, bloating, diarrhea, and/or constipation.
The etiology of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is thought to be multifactorial, with several factors (including alterations in gut motility, small-bowel bacterial overgrowth, microscopic inflammation, and visceral hypersensitivity) potentially playing a role. Recent studies have suggested that probiotics may be useful in the treatment of IBS. Although the exact mechanism for how probiotics may aid in the reduction of symptoms commonly found in IBS is unknown, the effects of probiotics on alterations in gut bacteria appear to play a part.
This review focuses on top rated probiotics for IBS – Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
1. Enzymatic Therapy Acidophilus Pearls
Jarrow Formulas Ideal Bowel Support 299v contains a clinically-documented human origin probiotic strain, L. plantarum 299v, that resists stomach acid and bile salts and demonstrated specific adherence properties for colonization of human intestinal mucosa. L. plantarum 299v has been used in human clinical studies for intestinal health and function.
4. Align Digestive Care Probiotic Supplement, 28 count
Align B. Infantis 35624 Probiotic Supplement contains Bifantis (Bifidobacterium infantis 35624), a unique, patented pure-strain probiotic bacteria that helps naturally maintain your digestive balance. Bifantis was developed by gastroenterologists.
Bifantis is the natural probiotic ingredient in Align. The specific and pure strain of Bifantis found in Align is Bifidobacterium infantis 35624, which helps build and support a healthy digestive system. Align is the only probiotic supplement that contains Bifantis.
5. VSL3 High Potency Probiotics Capsules for Ulcerative Colitis
VSL3 is a potent probiotic medical food that delivers the highest available concentration of beneficial live bacteria of any probiotic in the world
VSL3 high-potency probiotic medical food contains 8 different strains of live lactic acid bacteria that were specially selected to produce an optimal synergistic composition of bacteria.
6. Florastor – Saccharomyces boulardii lyo, 250mg
Florastor – Saccharomyces boulardii lyo contain the active ingredient saccharomyces boulardii lyo, a non-pathogenic yeast found naturally on the skin of tropical fruit (lychee and mangos teens). Florastor helps support healthy digestive system. Florastor also acts to maintain the balance of intestinal flora.
7. Renew Life – Ultimate Flora Critical Care 50 Billion
Renew Life Ultimate Flora Critical Care 50 Billion is a therapeutic-strength one-a-day probiotic specially formulated for people with acute care needs. Each capsule contains 50 billion active cultures of 10 strains of beneficial flora, more than most other intensive care probiotics.
Renew Life Ultimate Flora Critical Care 50 Billion vegetable capsules have an added layer of protection to help deliver more active probiotics directly to the intestines for maximum benefit.
8. Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra Ultimate Probiotic Formula
Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra is the ultimate high potency, broad-spectrum probiotic formula. Three capsules per day provide a 15 billion live cell count of 13 species of beneficial cultures including soil-based probiotics called Homeostatic Soil Organisms (HSOs).
9. Jarrow Formulas Jarro-dophilus EPS
Jarro-Dophilus EPS is a Stable-Dophilus due to its stability at room temperature and enteric coating, which protects the probiotic bacteria from stomach acid.
Eight (8) different strains of probiotic bacteria are delivered directly into the small intestines where probiotic bacteria fully exert their beneficial effects. Probiotic bacteria in Jarrow Formulas Jarro-Dophilus EPS are selected from the following 4 genera:
Strains in Jarrow Formulas Jarro-Dophilus EPS promote healthy intestinal microflora, which in turn helps to support intestinal health and immune function.
- Bifidobacteria longum BB536 has been clinically shown to stimulate immune response and promote healthy intestinal microfloral balance.
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus R0011 is a unique, high producer of polysaccharides that facilitate colonization and stimulate intestinal immune response.
- Lactobacillus helveticus R0052 assists in breaking down lactose (milk sugar), which may improve digestion of dairy products by those individuals who are lactose intolerant.
- Lactococcus and Pediococcus help reduce spoilage caused by unfriendly bacteria in fermented foods.
10. Phillips’ Colon Health Probiotic Capsules
- Phillips Colon Health supports a healthy colon, one of the most important parts of your digestive system.
- Phillips Colon Health replenishs the good bacteria when diet and stress cause constipation and upset your natural balance causing bloating, gas and diarrhea.
- Phillips Colon Health supports a healthy immune system.
While probiotics may be helpful, they are certainly not the same as approved drugs, and, therefore, expectations should not be high. Even in the trials that were mentioned, not all patients responded and the majority of the patients experienced only the reduction of a few symptoms. It is likely that in the future, probiotics will be an important component for IBS treatment, but this will take more fundamental research and more clinical trials.
Caution: Actual product packaging and materials may contain more and different information than what is shown on our website. We recommend that you do not rely solely on the information presented and that you always read labels, warnings, and directions before using or consuming a product.
Searches related to top rated probiotics for ibs
- how long does it take for probiotics to work
- how do probiotics work
- what kind of probiotics are best
- how long before probiotics take effect
- how long do probiotics take to work
- what is the best probiotic to take
- best probiotic for diarrhea
- why should i take a probiotic